Monday, May 14, 2012

Shots: A Literal & Figurative Pain!

Recently our doctor's office had a change of policy.  Since my kids have CHP+ for insurance, this effects them.  Apparently Medicaid has been causing issues about payment of the shots received in this office (to my understanding) and so they will offer dr visits only, no shots at the office from now on.  I was a bit taken back by this but figured, we're moving anyway, I'll just find a new office to take them to that will do it all, until then I'll just head on over to the Public Health Nurse.  Aralynn's 12 month shots had been divided up between 12 and 15 month visits.  At her 15 month visit (during the time they were still doing shots there), she was sick so couldn't have the shots at that time.  She was only 2 shots behind, or so I thought.

I went to the PHN and the nurse there tried to convince me that she was VERY behind and that they were going to give her EIGHT shots before I left.  I refused and told them I didn't feel comfortable with that amount.  We argued back and forth for quite some time before I demanded to see the list of shots they claimed she needed.  There were shots listed that I KNOW she'd received.  I said as much and the nurse made a big deal about how he was looking at the state's records and she didn't have them and blah blah blah.  I said to check HER records (which I had given to him) again and compare the two.  He made a big fan-fare about it, bringing out her records and flattening them out (over exaggerated movements) and started comparing.  Lo and behold, I was right.  We whittled the list of 8 she would have received down to 6, with fewer times I'd need to come back to get "caught up".  I still didn't feel comfortable with that number.  He, again, made a bit stink about how neglectful I was being by "being so behind" in this and it was giving him anxiety knowing I'd leave without her being fully protected.  I lost it.  I let him know what I thought of him and the shots he was demanding and how I refused to over-load her system.  We knocked the shots down to 4, still not a number I was entirely comfortable with, but I felt pushed.  He got the shots, administered them and then started asking me if she'd had reactions to shots before.  Yes, she's gotten minor rashes on her legs once before.  From her hip to her knee was covered with a rash.  He then tried to belittle me and talked to me as if I was incompetent and started telling me the difference between a rash and redness/soreness/swelling at the injection site.  Again, I was pushed to my limits and cursed the man "LISTEN DIP(STICK), THIS IS MY 5TH CHILD, I THINK I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!"  To which, he left the room while mumbling what a brave woman I am.  I'm used to being told that, but the way he said it was rather demeaning and rude.

I left there holding back the tears until I got to the car and called Chris and relayed the story.  It was so frustrating!  I got home, put Aralynn down for a nap and then Chris told me to go get some air for a while.  I drove around until my dr's office was open from lunch.  I went in and asked to talk to the nurse about the shot records.  After looking over the records, it was decided that Aralynn was NOT behind and, in fact, she had received a shot she shouldn't have until her 5th b-day.  Again, the blubbering mess came up.  Our dr caught wind of all of this and immediately called up the PHD head nurse and filed a complaint.  He was none-too-happy with how I was treated and said as much.  He told them to never again treat one of his patients that way.  They called me at home and asked for my side of the story so they could officially file complaint and said they would take care of this first thing Monday morning.  This whole thing made me sick to my stomach, literally.  I don't handle stress very well.  Our dr and I haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things, but he's never made me feel like I'm incompetent nor has he treated me so foul.  Its nice to know that even with our differences, he's got my back!

No comments:

Post a Comment