Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rough Days...

...they happen! Sad thing is...when they happen to ALL comes crashing down!

Mine started last night. I talked to my mom and found out that my Grandma was in the ER cuz she fell. It was a rather nasty fall, but lucky for her, it didn't kill her or mame her too badly...bad enough though. She broke her nose and her knee cap and had to get stitches across her forehead. She has to be in a wheel chair and can't be alone until she can walk again. She's a tough ol' bird, I tell ya!

Then, this morning, I noticed that BamBam, our cat, wasn't at the front door for his morning lovin' from the kids, so I called for him, and he never did come, then I came in and noticed what time it was...I was almost late picking Terra up from school. I decided to drive home a different way so I could see the street and make sure nothing had happened to him. Well, something DID happen to him. Sadly, I had to clean it up so the kids wouldn't see it. As we drove by, I had to lie to them and tell them there was a cow in the neighbor's yard, just to distract them from the sight...and what a sight it was. All I'll say is that his head is what was hit. I was sick to my stomach cleaning it up! I went inside and cried and cried. Seriously, this cat was like a dog, he'd frolick and play with the kids, he'd follow them everywhere and he'd let them haul him around everywhere too. The best cat anyone could ever find anywhere. I found myself wishing it'd been the other cat we own...but then I got mad at myself for thinking such a thing. I guess my country-bumpkin cats aren't used to "big city life".

As I was chatting with one of my sisters on here, my kids came running in from the backyard yelling "MOMMY! MOMMY! MOMMY!" I thought, oh great, they found the cat behind the dumpster...but no. They were holding up a dead baby turkey. I couldn't get a straight answer out of them on what happened, but have come to the conclusion that they opened up the baby coup and let in the bigger birds and they got attacked. Two of them died (we had six to start with), and one is mamed pretty badly and I don't think he'll make it through the rest of the day. The stories I was being told were that they were all "playing rough, and if you play rough you can get hurt and they did and died, mom"...and..."Tyler was trying to step on them and sit on them!" I really don't think that one is what happened, he might have tried to pet one and it ran away and he chased it and stepped on it accidentally, but all the feathers wouldn't be missing of that had happened.

So, when Chris got home, I had him bury the dead because I didn't have the stomach to do that. The mamed turkey is doing slightly better, so we've decided to wait till morning to see how he does, then decide on a coarse of action.

Needless to say, I've spent the better part of the day in tears. Chris told the kids that BamBam ran away last night, but I'm thinking we might have to really break the truth to them sooner or later. We'll think of something, I'm sure. In the mean time, I don't think I can handle anymore deaths, so I'm padlocking the whole backyard up. No getting into the coup, OR leaving the backyard!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Sandi! Wow! When it rains, it pours. Not fun for you. You're so strong though. I'm sure you'll pull through this...maybe a few pounds lighter though because of all the tears... Hey, there is a positive to crying! Maybe I'll join in with you. :)

    Love you sis!