Monday, March 16, 2009

I LOATHE Sickies :(

We have the sickies at our house....yet again. We've been told that kids can get over it and be in the clear and catch it again immediately....which could be what happened in this case, but I still stand my ground on it being a reaction to a shot that was given and then turned horribly wrong when he got an ear infection. Poor TyTy is NOT feeling well at all. We had to cancel our trip home that I was SOOOO looking forward to, but along those same lines, how much fun would it have been for ANY of us if we'd had sickies in tow. I'll back up to last week and tell you ALL about it.

On Tuesday of last week, you'll recall, Tyler had his well-child check-up and received a shot. We got the information of possible side effects and went home, blissfully happy that this would be just like all the other times....slight fever, ornery for a couple days, and then we're over it. Well, on Thursday night, as we were putting him in bed, he coughed and coughed so much that he threw up, we didn't think anything of it. Vomitting was one of the side effects and he was still getting over his "slight" cold (that he's had for over a month). Friday, he kept vomitting off and on, but could keep fluids down, so again, I didn't worry. Saturday, however, he took a major turn for the worse and I started to get worried. I called the after-hours answering service for our pediatric office and got in an arguement with the receptionist and she said, rather shortly, "I'll transfer your info up to the Children's Hospital and have a nurse call you back." We waited for a couple of hours and finally got a call back and the nurse didn't really help much, didn't ask too many questions, just read what I had told the receptionist and said that he had a cold and would get over it in a couple of weeks. She told us to humidify the house and suction out his nose and that should do the trick. So, we complied, we turned on ALL the humidifiers we own, suctioned out his nose a couple of times, after which, he vomitted, yet again, and then immediately fell asleep. He started to get really lethargic and on Sunday, took a 2 hour nap, then a 4 hour nap, fell asleep for the night at 7:30 and slept till 5:30 when he got up and crawled into bed with us and fell asleep again until 8 am or so Monday morning. Sunday also brought on the dehydration. He wouldn't drink much but when he did, it'd come right back up. I started to almost go into histerics when I was caring for him, really worried and just KNEW that it wasn't "just a cold" that would go away. I told Chris so, and he said that if he didn't improve by Monday, then we would call and go in to the office. He actually ate a banana and kept it down Sunday evening and Chris also gave him a Priesthood Blessing that he would be comforted and that we would be calm enough to care for him. He seemed to relax a bit, but still was a little too sick than I was comfortable with (lol, don't laugh, I KNOW you can't ever be comfy with the sickies). So, he slept peacefully through the night, and we fed him applesauce for breakfast and decided he was well enough to wait it out another day. So, Chris took Terra and left, and as soon as he pulled out of the driveway, Tyler threw up again. So, I didn't even wait for approval or discussion from ANYONE, I just called the office and demanded to talk to the nurse or one of the doctors there. In the back of my mind, I just knew something HAD to be done or this kid was going to be in BIG trouble. Little did I know how right I was.

The nurse called me back and immediately didn't like what she heard, so scheduled us to be there by 11:30. I made arrangements with my neighbor to watch the girls for me and I took both boys in (both of them were barking and hacking up a lung). When the doctor walked in, James was the one coughing, so he goes to check out James and I'm like,, it's this one you want to look at. He looked at me pretty stunned and was like, are they BOTH like this?! I answered yes and he set to work checking TyTy out. His oxygen levels were pretty low and he has a bad ear infection, a sinus infection and all that compounded with his cough/cold is making him nausiated. They wrote out a perscription for us to give him and we left, thinking all would be well again in the land of Nelson. We filled the perscription, and came home. I gave a dose to him soon after getting here and he kept it down for an hour and then......yup, you guessed it! And, to top it off, he was just getting more and more lethargic as the day wore on. I put him in the tub, because his fever had spiked again. He was so out-of-it that he was almost falling over in the tub. So I propped him up on my arm and dumped water over him to cool him down. I got him out of the tub and into some jammies and laid him back down on the couch. He then proceeded to wake up just long enough to throw up mucus, and then close his eyes and be out-cold. He was so weak that he could (or would) barely slurp up anything through a straw or his sippie. We were finally able to get him to wake up to eat something (although that something isn't all that great and probably has little to no nutritional value to it....but I'm grasping at straws here). I'm LOVING Cheetos today! He ate about a quarter cup of them and has kept them down. We also gave him grape gatorade through a syringe (about 6 tablespoons) about a half hour ago. So, I'm really hoping and praying that tomorrow goes better. Chris has a long driving trip ahead of him, but will be home later afternoon to evening, but having to deal with all of that for even a couple of rather wearing and stressful.

Another thing that has happened in our family.....we got a text message this morning stating that Erin (my mother-in-law) was in the hospital awaiting surgery. Her gallbladder is causing some major problems and needs to be removed.....but they have to find the gall-stones first. Somehow they worked their way out of there and into the intestines (from what I understand anyway). They're hoping to have all the procedures and surgeries done by noon tomorrow. We're so FULL of excitement in this family! Bet you can't wait to see what happens next...right?!

1 comment:

  1. I SO wish I could come out there and help you out. Let me know what I can do to help you. :)